Wednesday, April 30, 2008

[ Azureus Web UI XSS ]

Like I said in my uTorrent CSRF post, "more torrent pwnage to come soon". Here it is.


The web UI plugin for Azureus is vulnerable to XSS which leads to Cross Zone scripting attacks since it starts up a web server on the local host and runs a web application.

I won't take the time to explain what all this means since I've done that at length in previous posts. I'll just summarize and say that through these vectors the user is vulnerable to arbitrary command execution, arbitrary read/write of files, and bypass of the same-origin policy (depending on the browser version the victim is using). Let's get right to the attacks.


http://localhost:6886/index.tmpl?search="));alert('xss');//

The vector listed above is one that I found in the search functionality of Azureus.

http://localhost:6886/index.tmpl?d=d&t="));alert('xss');//

And this one Nate found in the torrent details functionality. Obviously the "alert"s are just for PoC.


The post I referenced in a previous blog entry where I disclosed my uTorrent flaws has an example of an interesting CSRF related to the Azureus web UI, although this doesn't lead to system compromise necessarily.

Anyway, this is just another example of how web applications that have been coded with little thought towards security being run on your local machine are highly dangerous.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home